(click to enlarge)
|Johnson Model of 1941||Triangular bayonet for the caliber .30-06 Johnson Model of 1941 self-loading rifle.
The Model of 1941 was an innovative rifle design developed by U.S.M.C. Capt. Melvin M. Johnson as an alternative to the M1 Garand. The rifle's recoil-operated action required a lightweight bayonet, which accounts for the bayonet's skeletal appearance.
Essentially, a socket bayonet without a socket, this bayonet mounts to the rifle by means of an ingenious flat spring. The scabbard is leather with a brass thorn to secure the hilt strap.
A total of approximately 30,000 Johnson Model of 1941 rifles are believed to have been produced. The Model of 1941 rifle and bayonet were used in small numbers by U.S. Marines, the Netherlands, and Chile. The CIA armed some of the Cuban-Exile guerilla forces with Johnson rifles during the ill-fated Bay of Pigs invasion.
Serial numbering of the muzzle ring is believed to have been done by the Netherlands, indicating that this example likely saw service in the Far East with Dutch Naval Forces or the Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger or KNIL (Royal Netherlands East Indies Army).A graduate of Harvard Law School, Johnson was assigned as an observer of the Army trials of the Garand and Peterson rifles. During his time at Springfield Armory, he developed his own designs for the Model of 1941 self-loading rifle and Model of 1941 light machine gun. The designs were considered especially innovative. The Johnson Model of 1941 rifle’s 8-lugged rotating bolt design was adapted by designer Eugene Stoner for his revolutionary Armalite AR-10 assault rifle and is still used today in the M16 assault rifle.
|7.75||197||11.75||298||.570||14.5||Muzzle Ring: "242"|
|U.S. Navy Mark 1 Training Bayonet||Sword bayonet for use with the U.S. Navy Mark 1 Dummy Training Rifle produced by the Parris-Dunn Corporation of Clarinda, Iowa.
Reverse-engineered from the M1905 bayonet, the U.S. Navy Mark 1 bayonet is made entirely of sheet steel and hard, black Bakelite plastic. The bayonet is fragile and could not stand up to rigorous use. Most examples encountered today exhibit breakage.
This example was produced by the Victory Plastics Division of Beckwith Manufacturing Co. in Dover, New Hampshire. The opposite ricasso carries the Navy contract number associated with the bayonet’s production. Examples are also encountered marked “PB Co” in fancy script. These were made by the Pro-phy-lac-tic Brush Co. of Florence, Massachusetts, a peacetime manufacturer of toothbrushes.
300,000 Mark 1 bayonets are believed to have been produced between November 1942 and July 1943, roughly half by each of the two makers.The U.S. Navy Mark 1 scabbard was also produced by Beckwith Manufacturing Co’s. Victory Plastics Division and is nearly identical to the M3 scabbard made for the M1905 bayonet, save for the markings. Although it is believed that these scabbards were made for use with the Mark 1 bayonet, they may also have been used with M1905 bayonets as well. Almost every U. S. Navy ship carried a compliment of small arms, often the M1903 rifle (the standard compliment for battleships was 850 rifles; cruisers 180 rifles).
|16.00||406||20.625||524||.620||15.7||Ricasso (Left): "U.S.N". over "Mark 1"
Ricasso (Right): "B. M. Co. vp" over "NORD–3066"
Scabbard (Upper Mount): "U S N" over "Mark 1"
Scabbard (Under Throatpiece): "3" over "B–N" over"1"
Knife bayonet for use on the caliber .30–06 U.S. Rifle M1, designed by John Garand. Also used on the caliber .30–06 M1903 and M1903A3 rifles.
In 1942, the Cavalry Board recommended experimenting with a shorter blade of 10 inches. M1905 bayonets were cut down to 10 inches and designated M1905E1. 16-inch M3 scabbards were also shortened to M7 length. The shorter blade was found to be highly satisfactory and was adopted as standard in early 1943, designated Bayonet M1.
This example was made in 1944 by the Union Fork & Hoe Co., Columbus, OH.
The M1 bayonet was manufactured new with a 10-inch blade and black plastic grips. The M7 scabbard was manufactured new for the 10-inch bayonet.
The bayonet pictured at left was my first bayonet. Obtained as a gift in the late 1970's.
Ricasso: "U.F.H." "U.S." w/ordnance 'bomb'
Tang (upper): "H"
Scabbard: ordnance 'bomb' on steel throat; "vp 16" molded into fiberglass. "24" painted on back.
|M1||Once sufficient stocks of M1 bayonets had been produced, the Ordnance Department began to recall M1905 bayonets for shortening.
These M1905 bayonets were redesignated Bayonet M1, the same as those produced with a 10-inch blade.
This example was originally made as a M1905 bayonet at Springfield Armory in 1919. It was shortened by the Union Fork & Hoe Co. of Columbus, Ohio. These bayonets are found with both a spear point or a beak point (as this example illustrates).
The scabbard is 16 inch M3 type that has been shortened to the 10 inch M7 configuration.
|9.875||251||14.375||365||.620||15.7||Ricasso (Left): "S A" over ordnance bomb over "1919"
Ricasso (Right): "US" over "1095777" and "U.F.H. stamped over the numbers.
Scabbard (Throat): "US" inside an ordnance bomb
|Sedgley Knife Bayonet||Knife bayonet used with substitute M1903-Type rifles supplied to replace loaned M1903 Springfield rifles recalled by the Ordnance Dept during the Second World War.
A clone of the U.S. M1892 bayonet, the Sedgley knife bayonet’s workmanship is crude compared to Springfield Armory production. It is unclear whether there were scabbards produced, as all seem to be found in U.S. M1892 scabbards. The M1892 scabbard that this example came in has an unusual marking on the belt hanger. Likely, a property mark of some sort.
According to research by noted M1903 authority, Clark S. Campbell, published in the Society of American Bayonet Collectors (SABC) Journal, Volume 33, Fall 2000, 8,100 of these substitute rifles are believed to have been produced beginning in 1942 by R. F. Sedgley Inc., 2311 North 16th Street, Philadelphia, PA. These rifles were assembled using low-number M1903 receivers and parts scrapped by the Army, along with new barrels, stocks, and die-cast parts produced by Sedgley.
Sedgley is believed to have furnished 2,600 rifles to the Norwegian Contingent in Canada and 2,000 to the Dutch East Indies under commercial contracts. The remaining 3,500 rifles were furnished to the following organizations via the Ordnance Dept:
1,500 Office of Strategic Services (OSS)
|11.75||298||16.25||413||.625||15.9||Scabbard (belt hanger): Large "2" with small "D" inside and "25"|
|M1942 Machete||The M1942 machete was a simplified version of a commercial design developed by Collins & Company of Hartford, Connecticut. The M1942 replaced the old M1917 bolo knife. Although produced in large numbers, the M1917 bolo was never a very effective brush-cutting implement and an improved tool was needed for the thick jungles of the Pacific theater.
This example was made in 1945. Second World War M1942 machetes typically had a wood or black plastic grip, except that True Temper machetes had an olive green plastic grip.
True Temper was the commercial trademark of the American Fork & Hoe Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. Unlike bayonets produced by American Fork and Hoe Co., which were marked "AFH", they used their commercial trademark on the M1942 machete.
American Fork & Hoe Co. was established in 1902. The corporate name was changed to True Temper Hardware Co. in 1949. The True Temper trademark continues in commercial use to the present day.
The scabbard is made of riveted canvas with a brass throat and M1910 wire belt hanger.
Williamsville Buff Mfg. Co. was a Connecticut manufacturer of industrial buffing wheels. They also made canvas mail bags for the U.S. Postal Service.
|17.875||454||23.25||591||n/a||Ricasso: "U.S." over "True Temper" over "1945"
Scabbard: "U.S." over illegible maker's name (Williamsville Buff Mfg. Co.?) over date (illegible)
|M4 Bayonet-Knife||Bayonet-knife for use on the caliber .30 U.S. Carbine M1. The bayonet-knife M4 was also used on the selective-fire M2 Carbines which were developed post-war.
Initially, the M1 Carbine did not accept a bayonet. Beginning in June 1944, the front band included a bayonet lug. Most earlier carbines were subsequently retrofitted with the bayonet-lug front band.
This example was made by the Imperial Knife Co., Providence, Rhode Island. The leather-grip identifies this as being from the first production run of 1944–1945.
This example is as-issued and in exceptional condition, with the starburst staking on the pommel, smooth parkerizing on the blade, and factory sharpening done after the blade was parkerized.
|6.75||171||11.625||295||.590||15.0||Crosspiece: ordnance 'bomb' with "USM4" over "Imperial"
Pommel: "Sp" and "148"
Scabbard: "USM8" over "BM Co" on metal. Fiberglass marked "vp 45"
|Return to Bayonet Identification Guide Index|
|© Ralph E. Cobb 2010 All Rights Reserved||Top|
USA - Second World War Era Bayonets
|Society of American Bayonet Collectors|